Holding guitar & switching fingers from one string to another may look easy to do. In Reality, It will be much harder. Due to lack of practicing & skipping warm-up/ exercises, it may be difficult for you to stretch your fingers correctly on a fretboard. So, in today’s article, we will talk about some finger stretching exercises that will help you to get the flexibility of placing fingers on the fretboard more efficiently than ever.
Importance of doing finger stretching exercises
Are your digits getting fatigued after practicing the guitar just for 20 minutes? Then, you may need to work on that. However,
- While learning the chords, the first difficulty that hits you bad is the stretching of fingers.
- By practicing some finger stretching exercises, you can get the flexibility to reach your finger anywhere you want.
- Plus, you will be able to practice longer without hurting your fingertip.
What will happen If I don’t do finger exercises?
One of the most common things that happen with a guitarist is the trigger finger. This condition is characterized by locking the finger in a curved position.
- Our hands are internally surrounded with sheath. When this sheath gets inflamed, it causes you to trigger fingers.
- There are other important causes too. The pulley-like tendon spread throughout our forearm & also to the fingertip.
- It gives you the flexibility to do different finger movements.
- All these tendons are surrounded by a structure named the retinaculum.
- Due to over practicing, you may get the catching fingers. It could happen in both hands either with one finger or multiple fingers.
- That time you need to bring the finger straight back with the help of your opposite hand.
- Your finger may get stiffer, nodule-like things form at the base of your finger or you may feel a popping type of sensation when you try to straighten fingers.
- However, you should avoid holding the neck & pressing the fretboard tightly.
- You should also focus on correcting the guitar holds up position to avoid this.
- Above all, if you practice finger stretching exercises every day, then the muscle will get enough stamina to move in all directions.
Which finger stretching exercise should I choose to start?
A little warm-up before beginning may make the practice effective. Doing some stretching before you take part in a marathon can help you complete the race. Exercising for guitar is no different.
- One such kind of exercise is the 1-2-3-4 finger stretching.
- Besides, from novice to expert, everyone keeps this exercise in their daily routine due to its effectiveness.
- For practicing this exercise, you need to place your index finger on the first fret & do a downstroke.
- Then, you should place your middle finger on the second fret but do an upstroke
- After that, you need to place the ring finger on the third fret & do a downstroke.
- Lastly, you have to put your pinky finger on the fourth string & do the upstroke.
- You do the same procedure on every string.
- For better understanding, you can see the youtube videos on it.
What are some other good finger stretching exercises?
You can do the following exercises to increase your muscle strength. Another great advantage it provides is helping to develop muscle memory. That means your finger will position accordingly on the fretboard subconsciously. By placing it correctly, you will get rid of playing any kind of buzz or thud sound. So, let’s check out below to know about some finger stretching exercises :
- Finger Stretch
- First of all, you should find a flat surface like walls or table.
- Now, you need to push the wall/table with your palm. Doing this, you should make sure that the fingers remain flat.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds & continue doing it 10 times.
- Practice this exercise on both hands.
- Individual Finger Strength
- This is another simple but super effective exercise.
- Again, you have to place your palm on the flat surface like a table.
- Then, lift your index finger & hold it for 3 seconds. And return to its position.
- Do the same for each finger.
- Bear in mind that you need to practice this for 5 times.
- Multi-finger Strength
- You should bring your finger together like you’re taking one pinch of salts.
- Now wrap the fingertips with a rubber band.
- You should open your finger once & close them in the same pinch position.
- Repeat the process 15 times.
4) Tendon Gliding
Along with fingers, you should take care of the tendon & tendon sheath too. For this,
- You need to keep your palm full extension mode.
- The next movement you can do is bending your finger like a duck face & return to full extension.
- After that touch, the palm with each fingertip & then straight back to the fully extended position. This is called a hook fist.
- Now, you can try the flat fist. For doing it, you have to bend the finger down where the nail bed will be visible.
- Finally, you should bend your finger as deep as you can. This time your nail bed will not be visible & hence it is called the full fist.
5) Hand massage
This one is one of the easiest things you can do at any time at any place. Our hand muscles are mainly divided into two parts: where one muscle group includes the thumb & first finger. The other muscle groups include the pinky finger of our hand.
- This muscle needs nothing but careful attention.
- Like, you should give them some time to massage them as gently as possible. You should also try to move the joints this time.
- It will unlock the mobility & openness of your fingers.
- You can do the same for your wrist joint too.
Sore fingertips are one of the commonest problems that almost every player goes through. The sad part is it may take a toll on your guitar practicing process. To avoid this type of unpleasant situation, we are suggesting you do some finger stretching exercises. Hopefully, our aforementioned exercises will give you a good drive to your finger & will be able to play the guitar like a breeze.